I have made Moussaka a few times in the past, and each time I try and improve on the previous recipe. This one got positive comments, so here's it is. It may look complicated but the component parts are simple to make, and a lot can be done in advance. This serves 6 people and is good with a Greek salad and some bread.
|Moussaka - worth the effort.|
This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight until needed. The key to having a final dish that keeps its shape when served is to cook this until all the liquid has evaporated.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g minced lamb
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 glass white wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the lamb and onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until browned.
- Add the tomato puree and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, on a low heat for 45 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Discard the cinnamon stick.
Some recipes use just aubergines, but I like a mixture of aubergine and potato. Some (or all) of the aubergines can be replaced with courgettes if you prefer. The vegetables can be prepared in advance: keep the grilled aubergines in the fridge and the sliced potatoes in a bowl of cold water.
- 3 medium aubergines
- 3 large baking potatoes
- olive oil
- Cut the aubergines into 0.5cm width slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season well.
- Cook under a hot grill until browned (you may have to do this in batches).
- Turn the slices over and oil, season and grill.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 0.5cm width slices.
This can be made in advance and kept over night in the fridge.
- 60g butter
- 60g plain four
- 500ml milk
- 50g Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- Melt the butter, take off the heat and stir in the flour.
- Gradually add the milk and stir over a low heat until it has thickened into a smooth sauce.
- Add the Parmesan and stir in.
- Season well.
- When the sauce has cooled, whisk in the eggs.
- meat sauce
- cheese sauce
- 25g Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 160' Celsius.
- Layer half the aubergine slices in a large rectangular dish.
- Cover with half the potato slices, the half of the meat sauce.
- Repeat, aubergines, potatoes, meat sauce.
- Cover with the cheese sauce then sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, checking occasionally, and turn down the heat if it is browning too much.
- Take out of the oven, and let it stand for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.